Sorry! due to overwhelming response to this tour, we are currently sold out for 2021 and taking inquiries only for 2022.
If you would like to be put on a wait list for 2021, please email us directly at email@example.com.
Revised for 2021!
Now you can enjoy a little extra time on the Classic ride with more even daily distances – and with a couple of great options on getting started to suit your travel/arrival plans to the area.
A pre-ride arrival day has now been included so you are all ready for your first day on the trail:
6 Days/5 Nights*
- $1,445/person based on double occupancy
- $460 single supplement (guaranteed own room for single traveler)
- groups of 4 or more – $1375 per person
Overview: Start from the iconic Mile 0 in Midway at the Kettle River Museum which includes the original Midway Station and traverse the entire distance of the “Carmi” subdivision of the KVR – from the valleys of the Kettle and West Kettle Rivers – slowly, steadily climb your way upward to the Okanagan Highlands before descending via Andrew McCulloch’s engineering feat of Myra Canyon and it’s remarkable trestle bridges down into the Okanagan Valley. For a more moderate first day, you can also opt to overnight in Penticton then start in Rock Creek (See Day 1 options in the Itinerary).
Trip Rating: Moderate-Challenging. Average 54 kms/day (with optional 68 km ride first day) The KVR Trail is a wilderness trail and offers variable trail surface conditions. We have upgraded this popular tour to better suit the challenges of the terrain with a layover day at the summit of the trail. While the grade is only ever 2.2% maximum grade, it is very steady to get to the top and a day to recoup is ideal. Here you can enjoy swimming, canoeing, rowing, fishing and hiking or just relaxing and listening to the loons on the lake.
KVR Classic Ride Payment and Cancellation Policy has changed due to Covid 19:
Once your tour is confirmed, an invoice of the total tour cost will be issued and a 25% deposit required to confirm your booking.
The final payment is due 14 days prior to your tour. In the event of travel restrictions or cancellations due to Covid-19, your final payment will be refunded (less the booking fee which may be applied as a credit to a future date within the 2021 season). In the event that one or more accommodation or related service providers is unable to operate, we will do our best to secure a suitable or better replacement.
At time of booking we will also send along other important information, details and tips for your tour including Covid safety protocals. We take your safety, and that of all of our communities, contractors and providers to heart and will do our utmost to ensure a safe environment for you to enjoy your vacation.
We always recommend you ensure you have trip/trip cancellation insurance either through your credit card provider or regular insurance provider.
Note to international guests: We are sorry, but due to the many travel restrictions, and unpredictable future of international travel, we are limiting our advance bookings to Canadian residents only, until further notice.
|DEPARTURE/RETURN LOCATION||Midway or Rock Creek to Penticton|
|DEPARTURE TIME||Variable departure times available|
Day 1: KVR Mile 0 - Midway, BC or<br /> Rock Creek - Beaverdell
Choose your starting point!
- Overnight prior to your tour departure in Penticton – enjoy the beach and a comfortable relaxing evening if you have traveled some distance to get here. Your shuttle will pick you up in the morning to take you to the eclectic town of Rock Creek for a 48 km ride on Day 1 of your tour or…
- Arrive Penticton and shuttle directly to Midway – overnight in the Mile 0 Motel and be ready for your longer ride from Mile 0 of the KVR all the way to Beaverdell – NOTE: this is a challenging first day ride with a variety of conditions and some slow riding – we do not drop off in Midway on the same day as your ride to Beaverdell, and you will want to prepare to be on the trail for 6-8 hours. (You can also drive to Midway and leave your vehicle here and get the shuttle return after your tour is complete if you prefer).
Day 2: KVR Mile 0 - Midway, BC or<br /> Rock Creek - Beaverdell
Once a booming mining town, Beaverdell is a place unto itself! we recommend the Red Rock Garage for superb coffee or the General Store for a well deserved ice cream or cold beer when you arrive after this big first day!
Accommodation this evening is a cabin/cottage.
Wildlife alert: watch for black bear, osprey, bald eagles, woodpeckers, deer.
Cycling Distance: 48 km or 68 km
Meals included: Continental breakfast, Packed Lunch, Dinner
Day 3: Forests & Alpine Lakes
There is just no way around it – you’re headed uphill today! just as the steam engines slowly wound their way through the forest and crept high above the valley floor, you will be following in their tracks. From Beaverdell it is a slight, but steady incline up to Idabel Lake. One of our favourite routes, this is the most remote section of trail. Relax the evening away – you are treated to a comfortable lakeside cottage or lakeside suite with dinner delivered to you in this remote setting – the alpine village is home to just over 50 people.
Wildlife alert: Watch for signs of black bear, deer, moose, elk, coyotes, eagles, and forest birds such as the rare western tanager. Spring and early summer reward with wildflowers.
- Cycling distance: 58 km (steady uphill grade 1.5-1.9%)
- Meals Included: Breakfast, packed lunch, dinner hamper
- Accommodation: Lakeside cabin/suite
Day 4: Idabel Lake - canoes, rowboats, hiking trails and loons
Layover day! After two big days of riding, you’re at the top of the trail and this is a spectacular spot to enjoy your efforts. Your comfortable cottage or lakeside suite will have all the comforts to relax the day away – and affords you the time to catch your breath and enjoy your surrounds – take a canoe or rowboat out on the peaceful lake, watch the loons, go swimming, fishing or for a hike through the woods.
This is your day to relax and just simply breath in the fresh mountain air! Many of our guests have had quite remarkable experiences here – from just appreciating the day of rest, to having a family of loons paddle alongside the canoe and even a young moose swimming alongside a solo rower. This is your day to take it all in.
Day 5: Myra Canyon Trestles & Chute Lake
- Cycling distance: 58 km (flat – downhill)
- Meals Included: Breakfast, packed lunch
- Accommodation: Lodge room
Day 6: Penticton - Ponderosa pines and orchards
- Cycling distance: 44 km
- Meals included: Breakfast
Congratulations! your KVR Classic Ride complete and what an amazing ride!
- 5 days cycling along the KVR from Midway Mile 0 of the KVR to Penticton
- 5 nights accommodation ranging from motel, cabins/Cottages to Lodge
- 10 meals including 5 breakfasts, 4 lunches and 3 dinners
- bicycle rental – 24 speed Giant Trail Bikes – equipped with rear rack and panniers – our bikes are chosen specifically for travel on the KVR and are superb for the terrain
- route notes and maps plus tips on cycling the trail
- Emergency support – note: this tour is self-guided and you should be confident in changing a flat tire and with basic maintenance. We can provide you with instruction should you need. Call outs to the trail may incur an additional charge.
- 3 cycle bag transfers (note: we include pannier shuttle on the first three days, then you carry what you need in panniers – supplied – on Days 4 & 5)
- shuttle to or from the trail to your start/finish point (usually Penticton to Midway) via a certified passenger transport operator
We are now taking booking inquiries for 2021. We are busy trying to accommodate everyone as we are rebooking our 2020 tours which we “hibernated” due to Covid 19. Please fill in our booking form from this website with your preferred dates, or feel free to email us directly as well at firstname.lastname@example.org to be placed on our 2021 advance bookings list. 2021 will be our 10th year offering self-guided tours on the KVR and we hope you will choose to come and celebrate a new decade of adventure with us.
Note: All our tours are “self-guided” – you may or may not be starting out with other cyclists – (please let us know if you have a preference when booking).
- You can now book directly online or contact us with any questions for these tours. Custom dates may still be available – please inquire or check our other tour offerings. Book now or send through any inquiries to email@example.com
- We hope to see you in summer 2021 on the KVR!